"The Cat"
He slinks silently on wooden floors
not raising a sound,
he leaps across the widest rivers
with one bound.
He balances on the shattered
fragments of light,
he melts into the shadows
on the darkest night.
What mysteries lie
in the blue depths of his eyes,
when he turns toward you
with that cold gaze of fire?
Is he the modern reflection
of some long-lost creature,
or an unknown copy
of something with great feature?
His silhouette is in front of the moon
looking my way,
he rules all he sees with those shining eyes
and he's here to stay.
The dignity that is in his gaze
cannot be defined,
he knows all, sees all,
he's one of a kind.
He holds the world securely
in his paws,
for he can do anything
with the use of his claws.
What do you think he's after
when he's climbing the tree?
The thrill, the prey, the urge to flee?
Perhaps he's happy to be the king.
He's more than what
we could ever imagine,
he's independent, proud,
and purely knowledgeable.
He can scatter his footprints
all over the land,
and paint his reflection
in the palm of your hand.
Well, thats it! I hope you enjoyed it! I promise I'll do more posts soon!
Great post, Maura!
ReplyDelete"Great poem" is what I meant to say.
ReplyDeleteThanks Aunt Debra!
DeleteCool Poem! I loved the line: "Is he a modern reflection of some long-lost creature" Nice vocab!
ReplyDeleteThanks Megan!
DeleteSome awesome word choice! Loved it.
ReplyDeleteWow, that is really good, Maura!! We would love to see some more posts like that.
ReplyDeleteG&G B
Thanks Grandpa!
ReplyDelete